Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I'm Kissing Dating Goodbye


I've always believed and said that succumbing to loneliness can cause one to be deceived thus doing and/or putting up with things that they otherwise would not. As this year comes to a swift close, I have realized that I almost let loneliness "do-me-in."
Don't get me wrong, I am content being a single woman. I enjoy being free from the added issues that often come with being in a relationship. However, I've been single for a while now and I was starting to feel like it was about that time to get back on the "dating grind."Now, my friends can tell you that when it comes to dating I am not for any kind of foolishness whatsoever. Once I detect an ounce of anything that I am not willing to put up with, I give 'em the boot without even bothering to take the time to write up walking papers. HOLLA ... VAMOOSE ... SEENT'CHA! Me being something of a serial dater has been a running joke amongst close friends for a while now. I'm seeing now that this "serial dating" did more harm than good.
By veto-ing one guy then almost immediately moving on to the next potential suitor tacked on stress and drama to my life that I could have done without. It was completely unnecessary and totally avoidable. Looking back on it now, I was tripping hard all because I thought it was about that time for me to be un-single. And look ... I'm still single. But, I'm a lot wiser than when I first began my journey through this year.
The last guy I dated was darn near close to perfect. Physically, he was my type. He had a great sense of humor and we seemed to bond really well. But, just as quick as they started things came to a screeching halt and, with little explanation, we parted ways and haven't spoken since. I was disappointed by this but, when I sat down to have an honest talk with myself, I knew half-way through our first date that he wasn't the one. I knew that I wouldn't be able to make a life with him and, at the most, we'd probably end up being nothing more than just friends. But, you know how it is when you don't want to entertain the truth so you shrug it off? Man, was I tripping!
So, here I am single. But, this time I'm single with a better understanding of who I am on the inside and the type of man that would truly compliment me in every way. And, until I meet him, I'm not dating anymore. Sound extreme? I don't think so. Having a clear understanding of what it is that you want and need before its even presented to you eliminates a lot of heartache and wasted time.
So, I've made it clear to myself what it is that I want and, until I see it, I'm on "love lockdown." And I don't have a problem with that at all.I believe that we'll know each other when we see each other. I'll rest in that knowledge while I allow God to make me a better woman. That should have been my focus all along.
And, whose to say that I haven't already met "the one." When the time is right, everything will fall into place and I'll be glad I waited. I'll be glad I chose to focus on my relationship with God and not worry about a relationship with a man. I'll be glad I chose to focus on bettering myself and preparing myself for my future. I'll be glad that I didn't settle. I'll be SO glad that I didn't settle.

1 comment:

  1. I am at the same place in my life right now.
    I ABSOLUTELY AGREE.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for reading my post and taking a few moments to drop me a line regarding what you thought of it!